This stuffed acorn squash recipe is a true celebration of fall.
Filled with a flavorful mix of quinoa, kale, peppers, and pine nuts, this heart-healthy and fiber-rich recipe from the team at Veganosity is easy enough for a weeknight, but beautiful enough to serve as a holiday side dish.
Roasting the acorn squash caramelizes the flesh of the squash, giving it a rich and delicious flavor.
- 2 medium acorn squash, cut in half and seeds removed
- 4 tablespoons butter (vegan if you wish)
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 4 large kale leaves, stems removed and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground sage
- ½ cup of pine nuts, toasted
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- Heat the oven to 400°F (204°C)
- Place the squash on a baking tray and add one tablespoon of butter to each half of the squash and sprinkle salt and pepper to taste over each squash. Roast for approximately 45 minutes to an hour, or until the squash is nicely caramelized and fork tender.
- While the squash is roasting, make the balsamic glaze. Put the vinegar in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce the heat to a simmer and stir until the vinegar thickens. It’s ready when it clings to the back of a spoon. Approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare the quinoa according to the instructions on the package.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat and sauté the onions and bell pepper until they soften, approximately 7 minutes. Stir frequently. Add the kale, garlic, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, and ½ teaspoon dried sage and cook for approximately 3 minutes, or until the kale wilts. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir frequently. Add the toasted pine nuts and cooked quinoa and stir until completely combined.
- Fill the squash with the vegetable and quinoa filling and drizzle the balsamic glaze over the top of each squash.
Source: Roasted Stuffed Acorn Squash with Quinoa and Kale - Veganosity