Nothing says autumn like apples and cinnamon, and this healthy breakfast idea is no exception.
Many people are intimidated to make oatmeal on the stovetop, but prepackaged instant oatmeal is filled with sugar and overly refined oats. This comforting oatmeal recipe proves just how quick and easy a hearty and nutritious breakfast can be.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 3 3/4 cups water
- 3 small sweet apples or 2 cups apple pieces diced small
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Butter, about a teaspoon or so for on top of each serving
- Chopped pecans (optional)
- Combine the oats, water, apples, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium size saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring occasionally.
- As soon as it boils, reduce heat to low and simmer for just a few minutes, until the oats are soft and the apples are tender. Remove from the heat and add brown sugar to taste. The sweeter the apples, the less brown sugar you will need.
- Scoop into serving bowls and top with butter and pecans if desired. Enjoy!
Source: Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal - Barefeet in the Kitchen